Five Michigan Teens Face Murder Charges in Highway Rock-Throwing Death

Authorities announced Monday that five teenagers have been charged with second-degree murder after a Michigan man was killed by a rock that smashed through the windshield of the vehicle in which he was riding.

The teens, between the ages of 15 and 17, are being charged as adults, said Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton.

Ken White, 32, was killed on Interstate 75 on Wednesday after a six-pound rock crashed through the windshield, hitting him in the head. The incident happened about 16 miles from Flint, Michigan.

“I just don’t understand how somebody could just go out like that and think it’s fun. I mean, you take somebody’s child away from them. You take their father away from them. You take their brother away from them,” Kenny White, the victim’s father, told WNEM.

He said whatever punishment the teens receive will be nothing to what the family has endured.

“They can’t give it the way I want it. So we’ll just go with what they got to do with it. You know what I’m saying? I can’t give them enough punishment. You know, because even if they spend 30 years in prison, they get to wake up every single day,” White said.

“They still get phone calls from their parents. They still get visitors. My son don’t get none of that no more. That was taken away from him for something stupid,” he added.

MLive reported the teenagers have been identified as Kyle Anger, 17, and four 15-year-olds: Alexander Miller, Trevor Gray, Mikadyn Payne and Mark Sekelsky. In addition to being charged with second-degree murder, they are each charged with conspiracy to commit second-degree murder and malicious destruction of property.

“I don’t think this was a deliberate attempt to take somebody’s life. It was a willful and wanton act that resulted in somebody’s death,” Leyton said. “Under Michigan law that is second-degree murder.”

Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell said tires and an engine piston also were thrown onto I-75, damaging other vehicles.

He said the rocks, one of which weighed 20 pounds, were gathered from a dead-end street and put in the flatbed of a pickup truck to transport them to the overpass.

“It’s not a prank. It’s second-degree murder. I don’t think anybody is laughing,” said Pickell. “I think if there’s any warning both David and I could give, it’s telling young people you make a bad decision you could be spending the rest of your life in prison. This is not a prank.”

Ken White left behind a fiancée, Amy Cagle, and four children. Cagle said she struggled to explain to White’s five-year-old son why his father did not come home.

“For some senseless act, for it to be just a rock, just to take him so soon,” she told WBTV.

Share this story on Facebook and Twitter.Scroll down to comment below!

Source(s): WNEMMLive, and WBTV